Everything About Your Move

When our candidates receive the news of their job offers from their future employers in Canada, excitement can quickly be combined with multiple questions starting with ‘How do I…..!!’ To allow our candidates to focus on the excitement we thought we would create a space which aims to answer all the commonly asked questions relating to your move to Canada as a temporary foreign worker. We will be updating this page frequently to provide a comprehensive list of everything you need to know about your move. A lot of information may be specific to Alberta as this is where the majority of MCK Global candidates are currently relocating to. Any additional information we have missed on any of the topics is welcomed! We have started with two of the most frequently asked about topics, Airlines and Driving Licences. We hope you find the information useful.

As most of the candidates applying for our positions have been from the UK, this section is with reference to UK tradespeople relocating to Canada, however as our candidate base increases we will adapt to incorporate this from a European viewpoint.

Adventure in Canada

If you would like a ‘get started’ link on some of the exciting sports and adventures you can take part in, please visit Travel Alberta.


In our experience many people have the impression that flying to Canada is an expensive business. Not necessarily so. We are often asked which airline is the most cost effective for making the trip from the UK to Canada and vice versa. In our opinion the best airline in this regard is Air Transat. During off peak periods especially, surprisingly low cost flights can be secured. If anyone has more cost effective options please let us know!


Check out today’s weather

Alberta has four distinct seasons, from mild summers to snowy winters. Alberta is ranked number one by Environment Canada for having the most comfortable overall weather in Canada. The weather not only varies day-to-day, but from one part of the province to another.

Alberta enjoys the highest number of sunny days in Canada — more than 2,300 hours of sunshine each year. Even in winter the sky is often clear as the sun shines brightly on the sparkling snow. In June, daylight hours can reach 16 to 18 hours per day.

In summer, daytime highs are normally in the 20 to 25 degrees Celsius (68 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit) range but can reach the mid to upper 30s. Normal low nighttime temperatures in the driest and coldest winter months, January and February, range from -15 to -25 degrees Celsius (five to -13 degrees Fahrenheit), while daytime temperatures range from -5 to -15. However, winter temperatures can drop as low as -30 to -40 degrees Celsius (-22 to -40 degrees Fahrenheit) for short periods of time.

Even if you’re used to living in a tropical climate, don’t let the idea of winter scare you. Winter in Alberta is a great time to experience new and exciting activities. Albertans delight in skating, downhill skiing and snowboarding, ice fishing, cross-country skiing, hockey and many other outdoor adventures. If you’ve never experienced snow, you and your family are in for a treat.

Driving Licences and Insurance

As our candidates already in Canada will no doubt attest, being able to drive in Canada is a necessity given the geographical expanse in comparison to the UK. Here is some information which we hope gives some guidance on how to change your UK licence to that all important Alberta Operators License. Our most important tip? Remember to stick to the right!!

  • A UK driving licence is valid for up to 90 days in Alberta.
  • Due to reciprocal agreements between Alberta and the UK, British citizens holding a UK driving licence can exchange their licence for an Alberta Operators License (the term given to a driving licence in Alberta). This is done by submitting your licence at a Service Alberta centre and passing an eye sight test. A fee of up to $64 is payable. For more information refer to http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm
  • To secure vehicle insurance in Alberta, a claims experience letter will need to be provided covering the last 5 years of driving history in the UK if possible. Candidates should apply for this letter through their current insurers in the UK and take this letter with them to Canada.

Hiring a car
You can select from a number of budget car hire companies from the following site which allows you to filter by location and car type – http://locations.budget.com/ab/

Permanent Residency

MCK Global’s clients in Canada are looking for candidates who want to put down roots and make Canada their home. Our positions are therefore suited to those who value stability of work in addition to a new way of life. As such the candidates we recruit have a demonstrable desire to move to Canada for the long term and work with our clients for the years to come.
Initially, our candidates arrive on temporary work permits which is a quick means of being able to start employment and sample life in Canada. We are often asked though ‘What is the best way to apply for Permanent Residency after arrival?’
For those working in the Province of Alberta, the most efficient way to PR status for many (in our opinion) is the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP). This is a fast track way for people already working for employers in Alberta to reach the goal of being able to settle permanently. Further information on the AINP can be found here http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrating/ainp.aspx


This guide for newcomers to Alberta provides useful information for settling, working and living in the province. The publication covers a wide range of topics, including housing, employment, education, health care, climate, banking, shopping, transportation, child care, the legal system and social customs.